Thursday, October 20, 2011

Domestic God - Volume 1, Homemade Bread



My goodness, I love making bread.  There isn't enough time for me to make it on a regular basis.  That's too bad because, if I do say so myself, it is pretty doggone good.

I got to make two tonight - pizza crust and a regular sandwich loaf.  Well, the loaf is going through its first rise as of this writing.  So simple, yet so divine.  It's also very therapeutic - taking out your frustrations with a vigorous mix, necessary of course to get the ingredients to gel.  Yes, hand mixing and hand kneading - stand mixers are for wussies.  I am The Kitchen Aid, baby!

What's really cool is when the kids, 8YO in particular, request the homemade bread.  "It tastes better than bread from the store," she told me today.  That should make me want to drag out the bowl, the flour, the yeast, salt, wheat gluten (LOVE IT!!!) every single day until she moves out.

By the way, I don't have a recipe per se.  I mostly follow "The Joy of Cooking", the third greatest book of all time (just behind Jim Bouton's "Ball Four" and "Miles To Go" by Miley Cyrus.  Just kidding.  Miley doesn't hold a candle to Ann Coulter.  Because Ann would melt like moldy margarine if she did).

No comments:

Post a Comment